Team leadership, strategy & planning
- To lead and manage three teams consisting of approximately 20 staff (a mix of contract & perm) who are situated in disparate locations (London, Nottingham, and home-based).
- Line management responsibilities will include hiring, nurturing and successfully retaining the function’s best talent, through regular performance management (cascading, and monitoring against KPIs), 1-2-1 meetings, identifying development needs and inspiring the team to create their best work.
- To drive the strategic direction of our products & services taking into account emerging and legacy technologies.
- To oversee strategy for both product and bespoke code base platform definition and implementation.
- To devise a tactical plan which can be collaboratively carried out by the team in order to implement improvements to our products, services, processes and knowledge sharing within the team.
- To plan for team growth considering the blend/level of skills required within team.
- To facilitate the smooth delivery of all projects, enhancements and support delivered by the team.
- To make sure that all team members have the latest in-depth knowledge of all onsite and relevant offsite aspects at the heart of all decisions on projects or enhancements that they make.
- To facilitate technology and methodology decision making throughout team, including standardisation of system architecture, reusable code base development, versions of software tools, best practice, source control and deployment processes.
Software and database development
- To ensure the team keep up to date with the latest software development technologies and methodologies.
- To drive consistent standards and approaches throughout the team.
- To ensure Dr Foster build future-proof reusable core code libraries, which can be shared, in-order to drive further efficiencies throughout the team.
- To deliver products (new and updates) which are well tested and consistently error free.
- To embed into the team methodologies such as agile, lean, continuous improvement, continuous deployment, service transition, feature driven development, and other relevant capabilities.
Communication and problem solving
- To create a culture promoting new ideas or up-sell opportunities within the team for our customers.
- To actively encourage collaboration and pro-active discussions with customer, product, delivery, operational, and sales teams
- To contribute regularly to discussions regarding internal process and system improvements in order to ensure maximum efficiency across the company. Including suggesting technical solutions to problems.
- To instigate cross team ideas and initiatives in order to help bind our products and services together.
- To make sure the development team are integrating other team’s services and expertise efficiently and that they are offering technical input into how all services can be delivered and improved.
- To strive to ensure that processes and appropriate levels of knowledge are shared between teams, breaking down silos, and creating a culture where the development and QA teams are enablers to the business.
Technical and Sales Support
- To take control over high-severity, customer critical application and data base support issues and put into place the correct escalation and process to manage and resolve issues as soon as possible.
- To lead and oversee all technical quotes, analysis, specifications to make sure they are complete and accurate.
- To support the business development team with presale activities, contributing to RFPs where appropriate and assisting in large pitches to potential customers where required
- To make sure quotations take into account all possible risks and contain the appropriate contingency
- To oversee the technical strategy and implementation of our own internal development stream activities – to make sure they apply to the same standards that we would expect for customer work.
Industry Best Practice
- To keep up-to-date (and keep the team informed) of the latest data protection and security threats and ensure Dr Foster successfully mitigates any risks in line with known industry standards.
- To help your team develop a strong understanding of the products, competition, industry, marketing goals and objectives of our customers.
- To efficiently and effectively manage your workload and accurately record your time using the company timesheet system (ensuring your team does so too).
- To ensure your knowledge of the software development industry is kept up-to-date and relevant, by networking/researching/reading blogs and news sources.
- To speak/contribute to public industry events and forums as required.
- To freely share relevant knowledge, insight, best practice and ideas with your team and across Dr Foster.
- To proactively drive innovation with new ideas and options made available by new technologie
- To maintain and actively contribute to a list of innovation & research projects
- To assist by offering strategic and technical advice for anyone working on these project
- Implementing and monitoring ongoing strategies to enable us to deliver quality and excellence through robust testing education and policies that are balanced and appropriate to the scope of project being delivered. To foster a focus on excellence across the development team.
· Embrace and evangelise our company’s values, which are:
- Working Better Together
- Showing You Care
- Making the Complex Simple
- Trusting Each Other to Deliver
Key skills and experience
- Experience as a senior level software developer with strong and successful technical lead experience.
- Experience of successfully creating and leading a team of developers with a high performance culture.
- Advanced level (knowledge and experience) of programming languages and methodologies.
- Solid understanding of topics such as: micro services architectures, API development, Kanban/Scrum, software and database design and development, software testing and QA, and agile project delivery.
- Experience of managing, engaging and motivating staff to deliver projects with stretching scope and objectives.
- Highly numerate and literate, with the ability to produce top quality written specifications and strategy and implementation communication.
- Proactive and highly organised, with strong time management and planning skills.
- Able to meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
- Experience at advising key stakeholders at senior and board level.
- Healthcare product management, software delivery, solution design, and/or consulting experience, especially with exposure to clinical, commissioning, population health management, and/or systems (STP, ACS, ACO
- Strong Leadership, professional (yet compassionate) attitude – and leading by example.
- Bright, highly self-motivated and driven.
- Passionate about technology delivery with a general thirst for digital knowledge and a significant interest in new emerging technologies.
- Ability to solve problems quickly and completely.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently manage competing demands and stay organised in a dynamic work environment.
- Analytical and inquisitive, with excellent attention to detail.
- Innovative and creative, with a concise, precise and effective approach to problem solving and the ability to develop, deliver and evaluate brilliant ideas founded on rock-solid strategic thinking.
- Credible, confident and articulate, with excellent communication and presentation skills and the gravitas to deliver ideas clearly and concisely to internal and external stakeholders at all levels of seniority.
- Reliable, flexible and cooperative.
- Diplomatic and tactful.
- Personable and approachable, with an enthusiastic and motivational nature and an overall passion for excellence.