Purpose of the role
The Head of Consultancy is responsible for the day-to-day management of a large portfolio of accounts for the business. The Head of Consultancy is the primary point of contact for customers, ensuring the customer is fully supported and able to make the most of the tools and services purchased and upselling where possible. Through building of deep relationships at all levels across customer organisations including senior executives the business manager will ensure customers feel that their needs are being met and look to achieve a high retention rate.
We are seeking a Head of Consultancy to design and deliver custom services. The successful candidate will play a key role in strengthening existing customer relationships as well as developing new ones. The role holder will have extensive experience of successfully managing a large number of accounts and being able to systematically improve account performance whilst always looking for future growth areas. Additionally, the role holder will have demonstrable evidence and experience of providing leadership to and managing a number of field and support desk direct reports.
This role requires flexibility and the willingness to take a “hands on” approach to both sales and partner management. Possessing strong project development and relationship management skills. Overall, the role holder maintains the company’s existing relationships with a portfolio of clients, so that they will continue using the company for business.
- Manage custom research deliverables, delivering projects to client satisfaction.
- Achieve individual and team consulting billable utilisation targets.
- Managing projects through a distributed team of consultants to ensure that they have clear objectives and project plans, and that the team collaborates well.
- Project management skills – awareness of budget, timeline and programme delivery management.
- Experience of managing the initiating, scoping and delivery of several projects.
- Create standard delivery processes across the team for our current offerings.
- Ensure the renewal rates are improved by adding more value via the consultancy team.
- Actively look to uplift client spend via consultancy services.
- Work closely with the head of sales to develop new business.
- Bid management: manage the proposal and bid stages of all custom projects
- Manage a team of 9 + field-based consultants working across regions in England, a number of individuals within this team also support the work of the Product Manager, acting as Product Specialists across the core range of management information tools.
- Responsibility for the team’s recruitment, retention, remuneration and will work with members of their team to ensure the setting and measuring of appropriate objectives for both the performance of their role and the development of their skills.
- Ensure smooth and effective teamwork between the teams to maximise sales and revenue for complex opportunities.
- Ensure excellence of current core delivery.
- Ensure utilisation rates are high.
- Building a compelling consulting proposition that builds on Dr Foster’s reputation. This requires the consultant to manage a product portfolio and will require them to retire and launch sales campaigns as the market evolves in their specialism.
- With the team expand Dr Foster’s presence in key accounts by networking with research users and executives. This requires the head of consultant to maintain a good working relationship with the management team to proactively develop Dr Foster’s commercial position.
- Manage the consulting team to implement the group and country growth strategy. From time to time, this will require the individual to lead special projects to address specific operational issues.
- Delivery of core services to 4 key clients.
- Manage the Dr Foster custom research portfolio to ensure that the go to market offer is compelling.
- Work with Director of analytics and strategy to assist the delivery of analytics.
- Work with product managers to ensure excellent delivery of their products.
- Work with the Business Development Director to ensure strong renewal rates and farming of client base.
Experience, Skills and Qualifications
- Educated to degree level.
- Minimum of 5 years’ managerial experience in a commercial environment.
- Demonstrable experience in leading significant & varied projects and ongoing client engagement / development.
- Experience of working for a large established consultancy firm.
- Ability to work with many stakeholders.
- Experience of managing consultancy teams.
- Excellent and proven client management skills.
- Experience in running multiple consulting projects at any given time.
- Experience in identifying and running a large-scale projects delivery.
- Client facing experience.
- Expertise in developing long-term relationships with clients, connecting with key business executives and stakeholders at all levels including C-suite.
- Extensive leadership experience of managing nine or more direct reports.
- Working expertise of adoption and leveraging CRM systems in account management.
- Demonstrable evidence of achieving revenue and growth objectives consistently over a number of years.
- Understanding of NHS data and the NHS digital roadmap.
- Understanding the NHS provider/purchaser differing informatics needs.
- Experience of managing an operational support desk team.
- Experience of working in, or with, the health care sector.
- Experience of stakeholder management at board level.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Commercially astute and good negotiation skills.
- Experience of managing partner relationships for mutual benefit.
- Comfortable working with data.
- Sales experience.
- Project management experience.
- Formal account management training.
- Sales training.
- Informatics back ground gained from within the NHS.
- Extensive network of contacts
Instinctively embraces our Company values:
- Working Better Together
- Showing You Care
- Making the Complex Simple
- Trusting Each Other to Deliver
- Finding Your Courage
Key Stakeholder Relationships
- Managing Director
- Director of Consultancy & Analytics
- Director of Business Development
- Technical Development Team
- Product Development
- Dr Foster Unit at Imperial COllege
- NHS customers at all levels across primary and secondary care.
- Non-trust NHS organisations and other organisations in the healthcare sector.
- Other customers, as specified.
Other Points to Note
Travel will be expected to attend customer and partner meetings across England as required. The role will include attendance at key national and regional events.