Purpose of the role
A Lead Research Analyst analyses and interprets healthcare data to enable healthcare organisations to make better decisions that improve the quality and efficiency of care for patients. They will take a leadership role within the Analytics team, supporting the delivery of high-quality work and the development of the team.
A Lead Research Analyst is highly competent in the duties common to the Analytics team and competences shown by Senior Research Analysts, and takes the responsibility of leading one or more large project areas within the team.
The role requires a high-level of technical ability to conduct all stages of complex analytical projects, including independently scoping research questions, designing and executing statistical analyses, exploring and evaluating new datasets, and developing new metrics and algorithms.
The role also involves managerial responsibilities of leading projects, supporting other team members with their project work, and supporting Director of Strategy and Analytics with project allocation and prioritisation, team development, internal and external team representation, business development and other tasks as required. The role is also likely to involve line management responsibilities within the team.
Responsibilities of a Lead Research Analyst may involve:
- Leadership and management of analytics project areas, including responsibility for the quality and timeliness of project deliveries, resource management, technical support for other team members, and communication of progress to the Director of Strategy and Analytics, and other internal and external stakeholders
- Conducting own technical project work to a high standard, including scoping and defining of research questions, analysis of large patient-level datasets, development of high quality outputs for customers, and research and development of statistical models and other analytical methodologies
- Providing technical leadership and support to other team members through organised training sessions, ad hoc project advice and support on making technical decisions
- Being accountable for the quality of analytical deliveries and conducting and managing the quality assurance of the outputs produced by the Analytics team
- Managing day-to-day operations in the Analytics team alongside other Lead Research Analysts, including prioritisation, project assignment, project pipeline and workload management, and risk management
- Contributing to new business development by assessing analytical propositions, new healthcare datasets, writing tender responses, and attending external meetings with prospective customers
- Representing the Analytics team in various internal and external meetings to either present project work or provide analytical advice
- Providing support to Director of Strategy and Analytics in the development of the Analytics team by assisting with recruitment, conducting induction programmes for new team members, and driving training and development of technical skills within the team
- Line management of other team members, including performance management and evaluation, and regular 1-to-1 meetings to discuss workload and personal development
- Building relationships internally and externally within their expert domain, being responsible for their area of expertise and strategic relationships arising from it
- Being highly self-directed, seeking opportunities for themselves and the Analytics teams within the wider business (e.g. through the development of new methodologies and analytical offerings)
- Further developing domain knowledge in healthcare and expertise in datasets and analytical methods used in the industry
Knowledge and skills required
To effectively perform the role, the position holder must have the following skills, experience and qualifications.
- Degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g. mathematics, statistics, epidemiology, economics) or a scientific discipline with demonstration of excellent analytical skills
- Significant experience in an analytical role in the healthcare industry
- Substantial experience working with healthcare datasets (e.g. HES, SUS, Primary Care data)
- Advanced skills in at least one analytical programming language (e.g. Microsoft SQL Server, R, Python)
- Understanding of the workings and structure of the NHS
- Experience using data visualisation software (e.g. Power BI, Tableau, SSRS, Excel)
- Good understanding of statistical techniques commonly used in the healthcare analytics industry
- Strong time management and organisational skills
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Experience working in a collaborative environment, including supporting and teaching other team members
- Customer-facing experience
The following skills and experience are desirable:
- Healthcare economics, including financial modelling and forecasting of future healthcare costs and activity
- Predictive analytics, including machine learning techniques
- Line management
To apply for this role please send your CV, cover letter and salary expectation to DFRecruitment@health.telstra.com.