Purpose of this role
A Senior Research Analyst (Clinical) analyses and interprets healthcare data to enable healthcare organisations to make better decisions that improve the quality and efficiency of care for patients.
A Senior Research Analyst (Clinical) works as part of the Analytics team, independently scoping internal and external projects as they arise, designing and executing statistical analyses, exploring and evaluating new datasets, and developing new metrics and algorithms. A Senior Research Analyst (Clinical) also contributes to the development of the Analytics team by providing training and project support to junior team members.
A Senior Research Analyst (Clinical) has some form of clinical training and/or experience and is able to provide clinical input within the Analytics team and outside the team as required. A Senior Research Analyst (Clinical) is able to communicate confidently with NHS clinicians.
A Senior Research Analyst (Clinical) is confident in the duties common to the Analytics team, and works with increasing independence and responsibility whilst developing expertise in particular areas of the business, relevant subject areas and/or technical skills.
A Senior Research Analyst (Clinical) is responsible for:
- Analysing large patient-level datasets to inform healthcare organisations on the quality and efficiency of their services
- Providing expert analytical advice to customers and internal teams
- Providing expert clinical interpretation of analysis to customers and internal teams
- Developing high quality outputs for customers, including reports, dashboards, algorithms and presentations
- Researching and developing statistical models for a range of adverse clinical outcomes such as mortality
- Developing innovative analytical methodologies including predictive risk modelling
- Assessing if new datasets or propositions have the potential to deliver actionable insight for customers
- Collaborating with NHS professionals, particularly clinicians, to conduct analytical work on both regional and national initiatives
- Further developing domain knowledge in healthcare and expertise in datasets and analytical methods used routinely within the business and the industry
- Further developing technical skills, including learning new programming languages, analytical software and advanced analytical methods
- Upholding the exacting standards of the Analytics team by contributing to the quality assurance of outputs
- Providing training and project support to junior team members
- Contributing to the innovative ideas for research work within the Analytics team
- Representing the Analytics team in various internal and external meetings to either present the project work or provide analytical advice
- Supporting Lead Research Analysts by taking on various team responsibilities
- Taking the leadership responsibility for projects, ensuring own workload is managed and delivered in a timely fashion
- Proactively sharing knowledge and experience within the team and the wider business
- Showing initiative in implementing improvements to products and processes within the business
How this role adds value to the business
Value added by producing high-quality analytical outputs to internal and external customers, developing and validating the methodologies that underpin the business’s current offerings and driving innovation in new tools, products and services. Providing clinical input to the Analytics team and to the rest of Dr Foster to improve the interpretation of analysis.
Knowledge and skills required
To effectively perform the role, the position holder must have the following skills, experience and qualifications.
- Qualification in a quantitative discipline (e.g. mathematics, statistics, epidemiology, economics) or a scientific discipline with demonstration of excellent analytical skills
- Clinical background – formal training in a clinical subject
- Strong time management and organisational skills
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Experience working in a collaborative environment, including supporting and teaching other team members
- Customer-facing experience
The following skills and experience are desirable:
- Experience in an analytical role in the healthcare industry
- Experience working with healthcare datasets (e.g. HES, SUS, Primary Care data)
- Experience in using Microsoft SQL Server
- Understanding of the workings and structure of the NHS
- Experience using data visualisation software (e.g. Power BI, Tableau, SSRS, Excel)
- Good understanding of statistical techniques commonly used in the healthcare analytics industry